As my internship (that I was mentionning (here), ended, I thought that it would be nice to share some tips about what makes a work environment nice and productive to me. These are my personal thoughts, don’t hesitate in sharing yours!
* By: Pinterest
N.B: Beautiful natural light, lovely mood boards and amazing furniture.
1. The most important thing to me is LOVING WHAT YOU DO
2. The second most important thing is ENJOY WORKING WITH YOUR COLLEAGUES
If at least one of these conditions is not true for you, unless you really need the job right now, I am telling you – you deserve way better and WILL be so much happier.
Once these conditions are completed, here are some bonuses that make everything special to me:
* Natural Lighting
The office needs to have as much natural lighting as possible. It is essential to see everything very clearly, and getting good energy from the sunlight. Light is important for the room but also for your tech. Meaning, you have to be careful your computer and tablets are not too bright or too dark for you. Everything has to be really well balanced for you to stay focus all along the day.
* Minimal Style
This is personal, but as in interior design in general – I love minimalism. White is THE color for me along with light colored wood and black. I also like very clean and straight lines as far as furniture goes.
As I was saying, enjoying the atmosphere at work is essenital and way more important than all these elements. But I am a huge believer in Feng Shui too. And although I am not an expert, I can definitely feel when the vibe of the room seems a bit off (or maybe it’s just in my head!). Read some more about Feng Shui and offices here.
* Good Furniture
Well OBVIOUSLY. A comfy chair and a wide desk – tall enough for me to cross my legs (does anybody else ever felt annoyed by that lack of space sometimes?)
* Creative Inspiration
I am a very creative person and I genuinely feel bad when I am not fed with creativity. It can come from many different things that I need to be able to see from time to time during the work the day. This can be flowers, pictures, brands, photoshoots, magazines, people among many others!
This is mainly why I love keeping flowers at my desk, they enhance my creativty and contribute to a beautiful desk. But I also enjoy having a inspirational pannel not too far away but at the same time that will not look cluttery and distract me when I need to be focused on other things. That’s why I love the inspo boards on the pictures I selected because they are quite tidy and dont get in your way.
– /!\ Sticky notes lover. Every kind. Keeping the serious ones for serious notes, and the funnier ones to bring some smiles on my colleagues’ faces :)
– A cute mug
– Some drawers and nice folders to keep everyhting very tidy. I am a very messy person but when it comes to my work I am quite organized and although I can get messy throughout the day, I won’t leave with my desk looking like a sample of the Revolution.
– Figure out your agenda – paper? Google Calendar? Outlook? Still figuring this out, but personally loved using outlook in the company I used to work at to schedule meetings with my team.
– And of course, a good calendar to always keep track of upcoming projects and mid-long term deadlines.
Now that I don’t work anymore I’m slowly getting ready for back to school season as I will start a new degree.
I still love to get hard-working and creative atmosphere in cool cafés and coworking spaces. If you are in the States, I would highly recommend you checking out WeWork. It is a fast growing company, recognised worldwide by its quality. They’ve got so many great co-working locations! Can’t wait to have them here in Paris! #PLEASE?!